Sunday, March 14, 2010

My wife is (maybe) a super hero and a cunning plan -- Departure T-minus 24 days

"I've got it," I announced loudly into Em's ear forcing her to recoil away in agony.

"Sorry," I whispered, "I've got it.

Since the operation to have four wisdom teeth removed Em's hearing has been super sensitive meaning she has been sporting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle ear muffs I bought weeks ago, as a random yet totally shreddin' gift, to soften the sound.

Maybe childhood memories are influencing my current behaviour but when Em joked -- a quiet yet rambunctious joke considering her ailment -- that perhaps the operation has given her some kind of super power like an X-Men character, I nodded my ahead in agreeance.

We both laughed however I wasn't joking.

My wife, an X-Woman with the ability of super hearing but to prevent her from going mental with all the background noise in life, she had to kick around in TMNT earmuffs.

I'm sorry but that
awesome.

Not saying that Em isn't awesome enough already, she is ... hang on, how big of a hole am I digging myself here?

Nevertheless I have come up with a cunning plan, one that doesn't include world domination which in a cruel twist of fate would be foiled by Em with her super-hearing-super-power but one that entails getting our belongings across Canada.

Having decided Canada Post as the most economical option for transporting our gear the next step is making sure we get the right sized boxes (anything under two metres in total length) and the right weights (under 30kg).

Our biggest issue is our tea cup and saucer collection which now totals 20. Odd you say. Not in the least and here is a four-point list of why this kind of behaviour is quite normal.
  1. Em and I love tea, actually the only people who don't like tea are fascists.
  2. Em hosts amazing tea parties.
  3. T is the 20th letter in the alphabet (okay that's more of a spooky coincidence than anything else).
  4. Collecting tea spoons is so last century.
The tea cups are part of our life but being the fragile China they are, not the easiest thing to transport across 7000km. Bubble wrap I hear you say and yes, you are right but you've gone one step too far.

Why send them if they don't need to be sent? Eh? Eh? Eh? See my point?

So, my theory is we bubble wrap them, box them then instead of sending them to no-fixed address in St Anthony (bear in mind we still haven't found a house to rent yet so everything is being mailed to Em's new office) we simply ask one of our friends to post them when we need them. No point getting to St Anthony on a chilly winter morn to find boxes of belongings that have nowhere to be stored and will need to be transported again and again and again. Nope, it's much safer to leave them in Vancouver and wait until we have a place of our own to store them.

That goes the same as our Jesus-candle collection, typewriter collection and world globes.

Never let it be said that I am not a logical soul and never let it be said that we don't have unique tastes in
collectibles.

No comments:

Post a Comment