Monday, March 29, 2010

Camouflage shotguns, stochastic Sundays and the curse of the missing car -- Departure T-Minus 10 days

Over a delightful cup of tea and an afternoon cupcake (yes there are different cupcakes for different times of the day) I scoured the Googlebox for cars in and around St Anthony, or Saint Tony as my dad has now dubbed our new home town.

Leave it to Australians to shorten the names of everything.

Our plan to buy a car has hit a slight pothole.

The man who was selling us the 1999 Mazda Protege doesn't have the right papers meaning Em and I are now residents of that small town just outside of Panicville aptly called Limbo, population two Australians and a black cat.

The story is thus: The current owner bought the car off a dead man, well the dead man's wife at least. The problem is she hadn't transferred the car into her name hence the current seller has to get all the paperwork sorted before we can register it.

We have our fingers crossed that all the papers will be in order by the end of this week otherwise we are going to have to go to Plan B.

Unfortunately there is no Plan B at the moment.

Nevertheless, in trying to devise Plan A (sub-section ii) I hit the classifieds website covering western Newfoundland and the Northern Peninsular to see if there were other cars on the offering.

There were but it's what I wasn't expecting that brought me more joy.

Firstly, let me introduce you to the pink camo shotgun.

Now I am no hunting expert but my first question is at what point and more importantly what are you hunting that you would need to hide in something pink to avoid your potential prey from noticing you?

Unless moose have migrated so far into town they are in the women's under garment section of Sears, I see no point to a pink shotgun.

Props to the painter, Troy, for his amazing and cheap paintwork, at no more than $100 I almost wish I owned a gun.



Elsewhere on the classifieds I came across this little beauty.

Now I don't know much about a lot of things but I know what I likes and I likes this a lot.

There's something liberating about a home made dune buggy, there is also something very dangerous, which probably adds to the liberating feeling of owning one.

And at just $250, it's a right steal. Considering it can go up to 80km/h and the fact I may need to take my driving test again and return to a learner's licence, I could use something like this to get around. Sand dunes or not.


The one thing I like about NLclassifieds.com is the fact you can buy pretty much anything which also says a lot about the people doing the selling.

A quick scroll down the page you can get everything from lobster traps, propellers, hand built boats, prom and grad dresses, kids toys, stoves, the kitchen sink.

As for stochastic Sunday, my gorgeous wife hosted her final tea party before our departure.

Complete with at least a dozen baked amazingness coupled with some delightful savoury dishes, we entertained a bevvy of our closest friends and family, wining and dining the day and the night away.

As farewells go, it ranks right up there as a tea party goes, it was one of the best thanks to good people, good food and Em's amazing abilities in the kitchen to conjure and create the most breathtaking delicacies around.

Look out St Anthony, we are coming and Em will be cooking up a storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment