Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mega Road Trip --the opening scene



***sssshhhhh***

Scene 1

(Scene opens with a sock-wearing, beard-hoarding, bedraggled former reporter of a local newspaper crouched over his glass-topped kitchen table in a one-bedroom “flat” in northern Newfoundland)

Me: Are you listening?
Sir Richard von Pinkenbah Retractaclaw III: Meow
M: Seriously?
SR: What?
M: I knew we should have called you Gary.
SR: Fine
M: Good
SR: Get on with it
M: The plan is this:
SR: Thus
M: What?
SR: The plan is thus
M: (deep breath)
SR: I’m just pointing out that this and thus should be respected for their grammatical independence
M: Respected
SR: Yes. Respected
M: “ independence”?
SR: Yes?
M: Is this how the trip is going to go?
SR: Perhaps
M: Perhaps?
SR: Yes
M: Fine. The plan is thus:
SR: Better
M: We leave St. Anthony on Friday Jan. 27 and head to Corner Brook. From there we head to Port-aux-Basques to catch the ferry to Nova Scotia at 12:15pm on Saturday, Jan. 28.
SR: Ferry?
M: Yes
SR: You didn’t mention a ferry
M: Why would I?
SR: Courtesy
M: You’re a cat
SR: Speciesism still exists
M: (deep breath)
SR: Discriminator
M: From North Sydney we head to Antigonish in Nova Scotia. Should be there about 10.30pm
SR: I feel discriminate.
M: (deep breath) Discriminated
SR: What? Don’t my feelings count?
M: Of course they….
SR: WELL I DEMAND AN ANSWER
M: We are on an island
SR: And?
M: How do you think we are going to get off an island?
SR: First class
M: First class?
SR: Yes
M: I’m not flying you to Regina
SR: I want those seats, the ones that fold right back, the ones that have the little cup holders and a screen. I’ve missed Big Bang Theory ever since coming to Newfoundland. That lanky guy, the smart one, you know the one?
M: Sheldon
SR: Is it?
M: Yes
SR: Are you sure?
M: (deep breath)
SR: Ok, Sheldon. I like him
M: How about I show you the open road of Canada? How about a 5500km journey across Canada in nine days?
SR: Do I get my own TV?
M: No
SR: NOT ACCEPTABLE
M: You get your own TV
SR: Cup holder?
M: You can use mine
SR: Does that mean there are two?
M: Yes
SR: Can I have both of them?
M: No
SR: Speciest
M: Why do you need two?
SR: I may need to get drunk if I’m spending nine days with you 

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly how he sounds. Except he says 'bitches' more often.

    ReplyDelete